Shutdowns and disruptions
Get the latest on shutdowns and disruptions affecting cableway services and make sure nothing comes in the way of your leisure activities. The latest news about operational shutdowns and disruptions.
Questions and answers on the early end of the season due to the coronavirus situation
Due to the short-term closure of the ski area, flexible rebooking options will come into effect. Guests could transfer their booked ticket free of charge to another date until 02.05.2021. There is no difference to the possibly higher valid tariff of the new travel date. To request the exchange of skipasses and tickets, an exchange form is available online.
The exchange of ski passes via the online form is only possible until 03 May 2020. Exchange requests received after 03 May 2020 cannot be considered and the ski pass expires.
Please note that due to the current situation the processing time may take longer than usual.
If you have booked your ticket with cashback insurance, you can normally cancel it yourself up to 48 hours before arrival.
Please let us know your postal address in this case. We will then send you a voucher so that you can participate in the event or mountain experience you booked next winter 2020/21. Of course there are no costs for the rebooking! Please note that due to the current situation the processing time may take longer than usual.
As this is only a temporary closure, there is no refund for season and annual passes. We will do our best to resume operations as soon as possible.
On Saturday 14.03.2020 there will still be service trips on Sunnegga and Furi for the return of winter sports equipment. Please contact our sales points.
Also the ski area Cervinia - Valtournenche is closed since Monday, 09.03.2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
We are at your disposal to answer any questions you may have about the ski area and cable cars:
+41 (0)27 966 01 01 or email@example.com
For questions concerning the destination Zermatt-Matterhorn, our colleagues from Zermatt Tourism are at your disposal:
+41 (0)27 966 81 00 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The FOPH has formulated the following rules of behaviour:
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue or the crook of your arm
- Stay at home if you have got a high temperature and a cough
- Avoid handshakes
- Always call ahead before going to the doctor’s or the emergency department
- Generally keep distance, for example when standing in line
Further information on the current situation and the rules of behaviour can be found at www.foph-coronavirus.ch.
THE KUMME CHAIRLIFT WILL BE REPLACED BY A GONDOLA LIFT FOR 10 PASSENGERS
The Kumme chairlift, destroyed by an avalanche in January 2018, will be replaced by a gondola lift.
The aim of the gondola lift project is not only to restore the infrastructure in the Unterrothorn region, but also to upgrade the entire area. Instead of a new chair lift, a 10-seater gondola lift will therefore be built from "Tufternkehr" via an intermediate station "im Wyss Gufer" to Rothorn. With a transport capacity of 1,500 people per hour, waiting times at the stations will also be reduced to a minimum. The planning approval procedure was completed without objections and the construction project will start in spring 2020. The expected opening of the gondola lift is scheduled for the start of the 20/21 winter season.
|Cable car||detachable gondola lift D-line|
|Track width||6.4 m|
|Number of towers||17|
|Rope diameter||50 mm|
|Number of cabins||56|
Last updated on November 2019
Stockhorn skiing area - surface lifts in the balance
The two tow lifts in the Stockhorn skiing area have been badly damaged by rockfalls over the years. Furthermore, the shrinking glacier fields have exposed steep rocky steps along the track of the lift, making it impossible to use. Here too, glacier towers have become unstable because of the melting ice fields. As a result of these natural changes, operation of the lifts had to be temporarily halted. In view of the persistent danger of rock falls in the area and continuing retreat of the ice fields, a solution would be to replace the two surface lifts with a cableway. Planning work on the construction of this new lift has already begun. The two surface lifts will remain closed until further notice because the Hohtälli-Rote Nase cable car offers an alternative means of reaching Stockhorn.
Further information to follow.
Last updated on May 2018