Zermatt: the must-see place close by the Matterhorn
WHERE IS THE MUNICIPALITY OF ZERMATT LOCATED?
The municipality of Zermatt lies at 1620 metres at the upper end of the Matter valley in the western Swiss canton of Valais, just across the border from its neighbour Italy. In other words: holidays in Zermatt are on the sunny side of Switzerland. Where the high Alps meet homely mountain romance.
Nothing against Italy, but Zermatt’s best-known neighbour is the legendary Matterhorn. The legend surrounding the first ascent is omnipresent in the village today – a good reason for guests from near and far to visit Zermatt all year round. On top of that: almost one-third – to be precise 38 – of the 4000-metre peaks in the whole Alpine range are located in the region of Zermatt.
Reason enough to put Zermatt on anyone’s itinerary? Certainly! But there are a number of other reasons to visit the pretty village at the foot of the Matterhorn ...
Zermatt: the all-year destination on the Matterhorn
Zermatt Bergbahnen serves the most beautiful and remote corners of the Valais Alps, with fun and thrills for guests all year round. What to do and the best time of the year to do it. The team at Zermatt Bergbahnen AG has made a list of some great ideas for you:
- discover rare, protected plant species on the themed hiking trails
- skiing or hiking – you can do either!
- Forest Fun Park tight-rope garden
- paragliding or helicopter flights
- family outings to Wolli Fun Park on Sunnegga
- rambling, hiking, rock climbing and mountaineering to your heart’s content
- discover marmots and chamois on the themed hiking trails
- 21 kilometres of pistes for summer glacier skiing
- bathing in mountain lakes such as Leisee
- mountain biking for beginners and old hands
- Funventure activities: mountain carts, kickbiking, dirt scooters, etc.
- explore the Gorner Gorge – ideal in September, with fascinating light effects
- rambling on quiet autumn trails
- Schweifinen via ferrata (fixed-rope route)
- varied programme for rainy weather, e.g. Cinema Lounge at Matterhorn glacier paradise
- skiing, snowboarding and freeriding in Matterhorn ski paradise.
- cross-country skiing at Täsch
- winter hiking and snowshoe trekking
- ice sports such as curling, ice stick sport (Bavarian curling) and skating
- tobogganing, for example fun ride from Furi
- Zermatt Unplugged music festival
The best thing of all in Zermatt: you can experience something new and extraordinary 365 days a year! Any questions? Get in touch with the experienced team at Zermatt Bergbahnen AG!