Protective measures for cable cars
The installations of the Zermatt Bergbahnen operate according to the regular timetable. To ensure lift facilities and pistes are safe to use, the Swiss cableways association Seilbahnen Schweiz has prepared a set of measures in consultation with industry representatives, and these have been endorsed by the Swiss government. Zermatt Bergbahnen has adapted its operations to comply with these regulations and measures, as well as appealing to users’ sense of individual and collective responsibility to respect the protective measures for public transport and to comply with the Department of Health’s hygiene rules.
SPECIAL RATES FOR Summer 2021
In view of the COVID-19 crisis, special conditions will apply to bookings for the summer season 2021. Under the new arrangements, events and tickets* booked through the web shop can be converted into credit notes if customers are unable to attend or use them because of COVID-19 and the restrictions imposed by the authorities. The credit notes will be valid for three years and redeemable at face value for services provided by Zermatt Bergbahnen AG.
The following cases are covered by the special conditions:
- customers catching a COVID-19 infection, or persons closely associated with them being infected resulting in self-quarantining
- a ban on travel to Switzerland from certain countries or a travel warning with respect to Switzerland
- resort facilities being closed by order of the federal or cantonal authorities because of COVID-19
All other cases are covered by the General Terms and Conditions of Zermatt Bergbahnen AG.
* Ski passes purchased at a 20% discount as part of a Pre-Sale offer and used tickets are expressly excluded from these special conditions. Tickets booked as part of the Pre-Sale offer are non-refundable and cannot be converted into a credit note and/or cancelled in any circumstances.
Important to know:
- the special conditions apply to unused tickets that were purchased online
- used tickets are not covered by the special conditions listed above in case of a COVID-19 infection. There must be a corresponding private insurance providing coverage for this case. SOLID’s SkiCare/PassProtect insurances can be purchased on site or online in our web shop for CHF 5 or CHF 3 per day. The same type of insurances are also available for seasonal or annual passes.
For even more flexible cancellation conditions, we recommend purchase of our money-back guarantee costing CHF 10.00 per booking. The guarantee is valid for cancellations up to 48 hours before travelling to Zermatt. Refund of the fee for the money-back guarantee is excluded in all circumstances.
The summer in Zermatt awaits you
We look forward to your visit to the Matterhorn summer paradise!
Your Zermatt Bergbahnen AG
Zermatt, 26 April 2021
Frequently asked questions
Yes, the international part of the season pass, which you unfortunately could not use due to the closure of the Cervinia-Valtournenche ski area, will be credited to your purchase of an international season pass 2021-22.
The new season passes will be available in the webshop and at the sales points of Zermatt Bergbahnen AG from 1 October 2021.
And this is how it works:
- Visit matterhornparadise.ch (the exact link will follow on 1 October).
- Fill in the form
- Enter the code received in the webshop and book the season pass international 2021/22 at a reduced price
- Present the 2020/21 Season Pass at the ticket office.
- Buy the discounted Season Pass International 2021/22 directly on site
The cable cars of Cervino S.p.A. will start operating for the summer season on 12 June 2021.
The wearing of masks in all stations, cable cars and lifts as well as waiting areas, at the sales points in the valley stations and in the Alpin Center, in the Kiosk Furi, Kiosk Blauherd and in the Matterhorn glacier paradise restaurant is compulsory from the age of 12. The Zermatt Bergbahnen AG reserves the right to refuse transportation to passengers without a hygiene mask. Anyone not in possession of a face mask will be able to purchase one from Zermatt Bergbahnen AG ticket desks and kiosks or at the Restaurant Matterhorn glacier paradise.
Yes, a maximum of 2/3 of the available seats may be occupied in closed installations. This regulation applies to all cable cars, gondolas, the funicular and the Leisee Shuttle.
Yes, according to the COVID 19 measures taken by the Swiss Federal Council, restaurants are permitted to serve food on terraces and via take-aways from 19 April 2021. For this reason, the Matterhorn glacier paradise restaurant offers you four exclusive tables with seating directly on the edge of the piste (max. 4 people per table) with a view of the Breithorn, as well as a wide range of take-aways.
Further mountain restaurants and information on their opening hours can be found here.
At all stations it will be possible to wash your hands either with water or a sanitiser. Small bottles of sanitiser will also be available for purchase from stations, kiosks and the Restaurant Matterhorn glacier paradise. Surfaces and objects which large numbers of people may touch, such as payment terminals, ticket of card readers, door handles, railings and storage shelves, will be thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis. Public rooms will be ventilated. There may be waiting times in the ticketing and boarding areas. While queuing it is essential to maintain the 1,5-metre rule. There will be markings on the floor as guidance.
To reduce waiting times at the ticket desks and keep contact with other guests to a minimum, Zermatt Bergbahnen AG recommends that you purchase tickets in advance from the Webshop. If you do have to buy tickets at the counter, please use a contactless electronic payment method.
Lifts will operate as usual whilst conforming to the safety measures applied by the company. Please check the timetable for details. All special offers and packages will be available for customers to choose from. Gondolas, cabins and rental equipment are disinfected regularly and are safe to use.
Staff safety is just as important as protecting the customer. The safety advice from the Swiss cableway association specifies clear rules in this regard, and these will be stringently applied and maintained by Zermatt Bergbahnen AG. There are a number of measures in place on top of the general steps such as hand hygiene, social distancing and regularly cleaning shared work surfaces, implements and rooms. Employees such as cabin stewards, emergency crews and restaurant staff who have contact with customers are wearing a mouth and nose protector for their and your protection.