Protective measures for cable cars
The installations of the Zermatt Bergbahnen operate according to the regular timetable. To ensure lift facilities and pistes are safe to use, the Swiss cableways association Seilbahnen Schweiz has prepared a set of measures in consultation with industry representatives, and these have been endorsed by the Swiss government. Zermatt Bergbahnen has adapted its operations to comply with these regulations and measures, as well as appealing to users’ sense of individual and collective responsibility to respect the protective measures for public transport and to comply with the Department of Health’s hygiene rules.
SPECIAL RATES FOR WINTER 2020/21
In view of the COVID-19 crisis, special conditions will apply to bookings for the 2020/2021 winter season. Under the new arrangements, events and tickets* booked through the web shop can be converted into credit notes if customers are unable to attend or use them because of COVID-19 and the restrictions imposed by the authorities. The credit notes will be valid for three years and redeemable at face value for services provided by Zermatt Bergbahnen AG.
The following cases are covered by the special conditions:
- customers catching a COVID-19 infection, or persons closely associated with them being infected resulting in self-quarantining
- a ban on travel to Switzerland from certain countries or a travel warning with respect to Switzerland
- resort facilities being closed by order of the federal or cantonal authorities because of COVID-19
All other cases are covered by the General Terms and Conditions of Zermatt Bergbahnen AG.
* Ski passes purchased at a 20% discount as part of a Pre-Sale offer (Pre-Sale: 1-31 October 2020) and used tickets are expressly excluded from these special conditions. Tickets booked as part of the Pre-Sale offer are non-refundable and cannot be converted into a credit note and/or cancelled in any circumstances.
Important to know:
- the special conditions apply to unused tickets that were purchased online
- used tickets are not covered by the special conditions listed above in case of a COVID-19 infection. There must be a corresponding private insurance providing coverage for this case. SOLID’s SkiCare/PassProtect insurances can be purchased on site or online in our web shop for CHF 5 or CHF 3 per day. The same type of insurances are also available for seasonal or annual passes.
For even more flexible cancellation conditions, we recommend purchase of our money-back guarantee costing CHF 10.00 per booking. The guarantee is valid for cancellations up to 48 hours before travelling to Zermatt. Refund of the fee for the money-back guarantee is excluded in all circumstances.
Frequently asked questions
The wearing of masks in all stations, cable cars and lifts as well as waiting areas is compulsory from the age of 12. The Zermatt Bergbahnen AG reserves the right to refuse transportation to passengers without a hygiene mask. Anyone not in possession of a face mask will be able to purchase one from Zermatt Bergbahnen AG ticket desks and kiosks or at the Restaurant Matterhorn glacier paradise.
At all stations it will be possible to wash your hands either with water or a sanitiser. Small bottles of sanitiser will also be available for purchase from stations, kiosks and the Restaurant Matterhorn glacier paradise. Surfaces and objects which large numbers of people may touch, such as payment terminals, ticket of card readers, door handles, railings and storage shelves, will be thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis. Public rooms will be ventilated. There may be waiting times in the ticketing and boarding areas. While queuing it is essential to maintain the 1,5-metre rule. There will be markings on the floor as guidance.
To reduce waiting times at the ticket desks and keep contact with other guests to a minimum, Zermatt Bergbahnen AG recommends that you purchase tickets in advance from the Webshop. If you do have to buy tickets at the counter, please use a contactless electronic payment method.
Lifts will operate as usual whilst conforming to the safety measures applied by the company. Please check the timetable for details. All special offers and packages will be available for customers to choose from. Gondolas, cabins and rental equipment are disinfected regularly and are safe to use.
There will be no restriction on passenger capacity in the cabins and gondolas.
The Matterhorn glacier paradise restaurant is open in line with the lift timetable. It is subject to the basic protective measures outlined in the government and canton of Valais-endorsed safety concept for the hospitality sector which came into effect on 22 October 2020.
The main rules are:
- It is mandatory to wear a mask when entering and leaving the restaurant and for all movements within the restaurant.
- Food and beverages may only be consumed at the table.
- The maximum number of people per table is limited to four guests.
- A minimum distance of 1,5 metres must be maintained between the individual tables and groups of no more than 4 customers.
- A minimum distance of 1,5 metres must be maintained from other guests in the waiting area, at the buffet and in the WC area.
- In addition, customers are required to provide contact details so they can be traced if necessary to stop the spread of an infection. Further information can be found in the GastroSuisse safety guidelines for the hospitality industry.
The same measures and rules apply to gastronomy deals offered by Zermatt Bergbahnen AG. These include: First Track, Mountain Dinner, Sunset Dinner, Sunday Brunch and the Findeln Gourmet Pass.
Staff safety is just as important as protecting the customer. The safety advice from the Swiss cableway association specifies clear rules in this regard, and these will be stringently applied and maintained by Zermatt Bergbahnen AG. There are a number of measures in place on top of the general steps such as hand hygiene, social distancing and regularly cleaning shared work surfaces, implements and rooms. Employees such as cabin stewards, emergency crews and restaurant staff who have contact with customers are wearing a mouth and nose protector for their and your protection.
In the Cervinia-Valtournenche ski area the protection concept approved by the regional government of Valle d'Aosta applies. On the Italian side of the Matterhorn ski paradise the following measures are in force in addition to the hygiene rules:
- Body temperature is measured at ticket offices and points of sale.
- In cabins and gondolas it is compulsory to wear a medical protective mask or a mask with equivalent or higher protection.
- Masks are also compulsory on chair and ski lifts, but generic masks are also accepted.
- Where the minimum distance of 1 metre cannot be maintained, masks are compulsory.
Further information on Cervino S.p.A.'s protection concept can be found online.
ZERMATT GOES SKIING
We look forward to your visit to the Matterhorn ski paradise!
Your Zermatt Bergbahnen AG
Zermatt, 22 October 2020